BIRMINGHAM- IHOP will again serve free pancakes to benefit Children’s of Alabama in celebration of National Pancake Day on Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at participating restaurants across the state.
From 7 a.m. until 10 p.m. that day, IHOP customers can enjoy a free short stack of IHOP’s famous buttermilk pancakes and, in turn, will be asked to make a donation to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMNH) to celebrate this “Decade of Giving.” Since 2006, IHOP National Pancake Day has raised approximately $13 million to provide life-saving treatment, programs and medical equipment for pediatric patients across the…
1,700 COMPETING AT ALABAMA’S 2015 HOSA CONFERENCE
(Birmingham, Ala.) – The owners of the Thomas Jefferson Tower announce construction on the 20 story building at Second Avenue North and 17th Street North recently. The general contractor on the project is Stewart Perry Construction of Birmingham. The total project costs will be approximately $22 million. The long-vacant historic hotel property will be converted into 96 apartments and will include 7000 square feet of restaurant and retail space, as well as the restoration of the large ornate ballroom, lobby and event space.
Reed Realty Advisors will serve as lead developer on the project. Brian Beshara of Beshara Investment Group will serve as a managing partner in the project. The historic building on the west side of downtown Birmingham is a high-profile sky rise that will catalyze City Center development west of 20th Street. It is situated just east of the historic Lyric Theatre…
Montgomery—Students wishing to study the building trades are invited to apply for a scholarship from the Alabama Home Builders Foundation. The deadline for submitting a scholarship application is March 15, 2015. The AHB Foundation, an arm of the Home...
Turkey and Onion Meatball Kebabs with Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 3/4 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut in thin wedges
- 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch dices
- 12 cherry tomatoes
MONTGOMERY – The Alabama State Bar recently announced the theme for the 2015 Law Day which is held each year on May 1. In recognition of the 800th anniversary of the sealing of the Magna Carta, “Magna Carta: Symbol of Freedom Under Law” honors...
(Family Features) Set the stage for an exciting evening with family and friends by hosting your very own awards show viewing party.
From glittering decor to delicious noshes, you’ll want to have an acceptance speech ready as guests thank you during closing credits.
Receive a standing ovation in the “attention to detail” category from your A-list guests with these five tips for awards show viewing parties:
- Set the Stage:When designing your at-home viewing party set, choose trophy-gold plates, popcorn holders, napkins, cups, straws and other party accessories.
- Create a Star Entrance:Place a red carpet, rug or long piece of red fabric against a blank white wall near the entrance to simulate a red carpet “step and repeat” paparazzi photo zone.
- Please Be Seated in Theater Style: Provide each guest with a cardboard tray to carry food and beverages to the seating area.
- Serve Popcorn with Flair:Add zest to popcorn by using real butter mixed with herbs or sprinkle grated Dry Jack cheese on top for a burst of flavor.
- Premiere a Themed Concession Stand: Feature nominated film-themed appetizers using these simple recipes. Soothe your guests’ “wild” souls with the Wild Wild West Dip, give a nod to the “winged super hero” in everyone with Super Chicken Chilaquiles, or satisfy “childhood” cravings of both the young and the young-at-heart with Bacon Oaxaca Mini Grilled Cheeses.
For these and other…
Seafood Stew with Tomatoes Basil
1/4 Cup olive oil
1 1/4 Cups Chopped onion
2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
4 Tsp. Dried oregano
1 1/2 Tsp. fennel seeds
21/4 Cups crushed tomato with added puree
2 1/4 Cups bottled clam juice
1 Cup dry white wine
2 (6 1/2) Oz. cans chopped clams drained, liquid reserved
1 Lb. large shrimp uncooked, peeled, deveined
1 (6 oz.) Can crab meat, drained
1/2 Cup chopped fresh basil
Heat oil in heavy large pot medium heat. Add…
Alabama State Parks has launched its newly redesigned website, alapark.com. The new site features a more user-friendly layout, improved website navigation, park maps, individual park photo galleries, social media links, event listings and much more. The new alapark.com is also compatible with mobile devices, which makes researching the parks on the go more accessible.
According to Alabama State Parks Director Greg Lein, the main goal of the redesign was to give park visitors a better way to explore their favorite parks and to provide that information in a more uniform way.
“During last year’s 75th anniversary celebration, we received lots of input from park visitors on how to improve their experience at our parks,” Lein said. “The website redesign should provide a much better online experience for our visitors and partners when planning a trip to one of Alabama’s 22 state parks.”